For more insights and opinions, visit Steve Bland's
on advertising, agency and business.
.(click above here)
- Advertising in its purest form connects buyers with sellers, and vice versa.
- Good advertising, characteristically, is relatable and/or appealing. And, there's no substitute for good taste.
- Effective advertising helps seduce an audience toward an opinion or action, and helps drive business growth.
- It's been said before — the most "important real estate" is a share or a piece of a person's mind.
- Often paired with Public Relations, Advertising is the "persuasion" business. Think of a Vance Packard
book from the late 1950s like The Hidden Persuaders.
- The idea of brand can go beyond convenience, selection and value — to the emotional, impulsive,
and in rare cases, transcend to an amorphous, undefined, and even supernatural state.
- Most important rule in business — never run out of money.
- We live in an imbalanced world where malcontents have a huge, instant voice led by snap judgments to shape opinion.
- This is both an age of "distraction" and of "surveillance".
- The business world has always been defined both by making order out of chaos and building trust.
- The worst sins in business are lying and laziness.
- We should aim to keep client success and satisfaction high by keeping the excesses in the name of "creativity" in check.
- I started and cultivated my career in the right place at the right time. I had the privilege of working at Advertising Age's
Agency of the Decade beginning in 1988 and learned from at the foot of the master impresario himself: Jay Chiat.
The BLA motto: Make excellent work, friends & money.